(click on for more info)
Spring Break Excursions
6th, 7th, 8th grades
March 13 and 14
Science in the Sun June 12-15
2nd through 5th grade
5th through 8th grade
July 30-Aug 4
2016 POSTER AND ESSAY CONTEST WINNERS
ULSWCD Chairman Tony Hall awarded prizes in the District's conservation poster and essay contests. Posters were submitted addressing the theme "Local Heroes - Your Hardworking Pollinators".
The essay topic was "How Soil and Water Conservation Helps Feed the World".
All submitted 2016 posters and essays were displayed at
Kimble County Library
to celebrate Soil Stewardship Week
EARTH DAY FUN !
Each year ULSWCD participates in Earth Day at JISD, aided by the NRCS Junction Field Office staff. For the May 2015 event, NRCS specialists from San Angelo also joined us in teaching conservation issues to students. Three kindergarten and three fifth grade classes were taught, providing the conservation message to over 100 students, teachers and volunteers.
* What are pollinators, why we need them and how they work with plants. How pollinators affect all parts of our lives, helping provide food and clothing. How natural resources affect pollinators and the importance of good stewardship.
* "Bee" Bingo game. What students learned about pollinators was reinforced through a fun game.
* Each student planted a seed cup, which was taken back to the classroom where plant growth was monitored.
* A rainfall simulator was used to teach the principles of soil erosion and practices that can help prevent it.
* A soil specialist taught soil types, how they were formed and their differing qualities.
* Students learned how to use a GPS unit and were given hands-on experience as they tracked and located hidden "treasure".
All students were given packets with educational information furnished by ULSWCD and NRCS.
Additional thanks to
Kimble County Groundwater District
for providing planting materials and treats for students
Natural Resources Conservation Service provides leadership in a partnership effort to help people conserve, maintain and improve our natural resources and environment.
An Equal Opportunity Provider and Employer